A logo is essentially a compact design that is the signature of your brand. It typically includes text - the name of your shop and maybe a tagline - and sometimes a graphic element - usually symbolic of the product or product mood. A logo can help keep your brand consistent. You would use this on all of your marketing materials - business card, banner, hangtags, labels, flyers, etc - to keep things looking consistent. Question is, do you need a logo? Here’s a list of reasons to choose to go with a logo.
- You want to be able to take your graphic and run with it. Meaning, you want to own your logo graphic outright and not be dependent on the graphic designer to constantly edit your brand. NOTE: To have this right you need to own the copyright to the graphic. You do not necessarily get this when you purchase a logo. It needs to be spelled out specifically in your contract or the purchased listing on Etsy. Most graphic designers on Etsy do NOT provide the copyright to their clients. Meaning, the graphic designer owns the copyright and can require that you pay royalties. What royalties means depends on them.
- You sell dozens of items that have labels on them - spa, cosmetics, candles and toiletries all need labels. A logo will keep your branding consistent and will make the designing easier in the long run.
- You sell on Etsy as well as other places. A logo will help keep your brand consistent and will help regular customers know they’re in the right place. They will identify your logo.
- You want to attract customers with a unique brand. This is what is often seen as the manipulative side of marketing. Personally, I think it’s part of the fantasy of buying beautiful things. From childhood we role play, so why is it so awful to buy something because it makes you feel retro or chic or earthy? It’s all in fun and can absolutely help you sell your products.
- You want your brand to look professional. If you want to take your products to the “next level” a professionally designed logo can do just that. A well designed logo will show prospective buyers and wholesellers that you take your business seriously.
Designing a smart, impactful logo takes a lot of time and effort.
It is also one of the more expensive services to purchase on Etsy. So, be thoughtful when selecting a designer and make sure that you communicate your needs with the person you hire.\
A well-done logo design should follow some specific processes:
- A questionnaire for the client with detailed questions about their business.
- Research on the part of the designer and the client to find out what the competition is doing with regards to their brand.
- No copying of other business brand concepts.
- An original concept for your business.
- Lots of time and thinking on the part of the designer - this is not a whimsical, impulsive artistic practice. It takes serious thinking and logic to do a smart logo.
- Discussions with the client to ensure that the logo is hitting the mark.